I know it’s still August, but the stores are awash with the new season’s fashion. One of the biggest trends of Spring/Summer 12 was the peplum, which is set to continue for Autumn/Winter 12/13. So, what is “peplum”?
It’s a design that originated in ancient Greece, which means tunic. Today’s interpretation of it, is a short flared, gathered or pleated fabric, which is attached to the waist of garments to create a frill.
A peplum adds a certain ladylike flair to your outfit. It slims your waistline and accentuates your womanly curves. What’s not to love about that?
Here are a few of my favourites at the moment.
- Peplum skirt, £30 from Oasis
- Lace peplum top, £35 from Warehouse
- Melanie textured peplum jumper, £95 from Reiss
- Peplum jacket, £70 from ASOS
- Alice & Olivia Victoria peplum dress, £215 from Net-A-Porter & $264 from Saks
- Sleeveless peplum top, £18 from Topshop
Domestic Princess tips:
- The best tip I can give you about purchasing a peplum garment is: if it is super frilly, like the bed valances from the 80s, give it a miss. What you’re looking for is something structured.
- When choosing your peplum, keep in mind this: fitted or flared styles. To show off an hourglass figure, choose a fitted peplum. If on the other hand you’re looking to add curves to your frame, opt for a flared one.
- If choosing a peplum skirt, the most flattering length is for the skirt to finish at, or just below your knee.
- A peplum jacket will look great with a pair of skinny jeans.
Have you embraced this trend yet? If not, will you? I’ve got my eye on the lace peplum from Warehouse…..
With much love
The Domestic Princess